A Philosophy of Radical Aliveness

A Philosophy of Radical Aliveness

LIVE LARGE & LONG!


"Yesterday is already a dream, and tomorrow is only a vision; but today well lived, makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope."

John Kerestes


Pages

Monday, November 28, 2022

NOVEMEBER, 2022: LIFE ON WHIDBEY ISLAND



When I moved to Whidbey Island my brothers said there were two things I'd need: a chainsaw, and a generator. On November 4th at 10pm I needed both.

We had a terrific windstorm, preceded by softening the ground with rain. The 60mph wind came in the opposite direction from usual, and trees were pulled up by the roots. The truck pictured here fortunately wasn't mine. The owner also lost 42 trees.


I lost a half dozen trees, my Dish TV was totaled, and a branch speared a hole through my garage roof. Larry, a neighbor had a truck windshield & back window shattered, as well as the hood and cab top dented. He winters in Arizona so I covered it all with a tarp. One large tree could have crashed into my house, but instead blocked my driveway and sheered off part of my madrona tree. My brother Jeff and I spelled each other with my chainsaw and cleared a path to get my truck out. The next day Dylan (of the Whidbey Beard Project) came and cleared the tree the rest of the way out of the driveway. Jesus' crew came and spent two days cleaning up all the downed branches, leaves, and logs; which cost $2,040. I also had to have Jesse, a professional arborist come and take down one of my large poplars in the driveway which was leaning across the road. It was a tricky removal that cost me another $886. We were without power for three days.

Dylan with his large chainsaw making short work of the fallen tree.