A Philosophy of Radical Aliveness

A Philosophy of Radical Aliveness

LIVE LARGE & LONG!


"Yesterday is already a dream, and tomorrow is only a vision; but today well lived, makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope."

John Kerestes


Pages

Saturday, October 20, 2007

1986 Taking Up Running




I take a class with Colorado Free University on jogging. At the end of the first session we have to pair up with a running partner. I'm single, and I think, "Oh boy, look at all these single women!" But out of a dozen in the class I am paired up with the one other man (because we live the closest to one another). It turns out to be Everett S., who does become my regular running partner, and a good friend. We both go on to do 10k races, and run year around several days a week for several years. Finally, I get bursitis in my hip and have to quite running. However, the usefulness of a regular exercise program has caught on. I switch to lap swimming for 3 years until I get totally bored with it, then switch to a gym. On two occasions I have a trainer, both for several years. The first is Mike Jones (who "outed" Ted Haggard). The second is Vaughn V. until I got a bulging disc in my back when moving the Spring of 2007, and was advised to quit by the Spine Clinic doc.