A Philosophy of Radical Aliveness

A Philosophy of Radical Aliveness

LIVE LARGE & LONG!


"Yesterday is already a dream, and tomorrow is only a vision; but today well lived, makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope."

John Kerestes


Pages

Friday, October 19, 2007

1986 Canyonlands, Utah Vision Quest


With only a journal and water I fasted for five days and hung out in the Utah desert. Ordinarily when you walk in the desert the lizards scurry out of your way, but when you sit for a long time they compete with each other, bobbing up and down on their front legs, for a good vantage point to watch you. My time slowed to large blocks: morning, afternoon, evening and I synchronized to sunup and sundown. I would lay on my back at dusk and watch the bats and swallows swooping up the flying insects; and listen to the lilting call of the canyon wren. I expected a vision, and stayed up all night the last night waiting for it. I thought the heavens might open up and the booming voice of God would come through. That didn't happen. I didn't figure out until discussing it with Terry K., my mentor, that the vision was in the vivid dreams I had while there -- as many as five a night. It was a great experience!