A Philosophy of Radical Aliveness

A Philosophy of Radical Aliveness

LIVE LARGE & LONG!


"Yesterday is already a dream, and tomorrow is only a vision; but today well lived, makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope."

John Kerestes


Pages

Friday, October 19, 2007

1979-1984 White Water Kayaking


Kayaking was an exercise in fear management for the first few years until I got a roll down well. If you flipped your boat you had two tries to get up. If you didn't make it you had to get out and swim while hanging onto your boat & paddle and get to the side of the river. If you did that routine twice in one trip you had to stay out because the Colorado rivers are so cold you risk hypothermia. In the end I had the kayak on top of my car in a parking lot in Aspen and a truck clipped it. My kayaking partner had already quit the sport, and I didn't patch the boat. Its a young man's sport you have to train for.