A Philosophy of Radical Aliveness

A Philosophy of Radical Aliveness

LIVE LARGE & LONG!


"Yesterday is already a dream, and tomorrow is only a vision; but today well lived, makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope."

John Kerestes


Pages

Wednesday, October 6, 2021

SEPTEMBER, 2O21: KENYA SAFARI

This trip was postponed for a year due to the COVID pandemic. Even so, with the Delta variant, I was uneasy about the travel portion, as were some of my fellow travelers.


 It was a safari where we stayed in the luxury of the And Beyond Kitchwe Tembo Lodge in Maasai Mara National Park, and had a vehicle customized for photographers with a photo expert guide, Hendri Coetzer from CNP Safaris, South Africa. There was only one other guest, David Laronde, from Canada, who turned out to be a semi-pro photographer as experienced as myself.


We did twenty game drives, and I took 6,850 photos. That was in part because I was using my new Sony A1 mirrorless camera that shoots 30 frames a second. So catching a bird in flight might involve a burst rate that is blindingly fast.






We also had significant encounters with lions, leopards, hyenas, hippos, baboons, vultures, elephants, giraffes, buffalo, and wildebeest. 


On the last day I was able to visit a Maasai Village. They had been closed to outsiders due to the Pandemic, and they had no cases of COVID. However, at the end of my time there they opened up to tourists. On the day I visited I was the only tourist.