A Philosophy of Radical Aliveness

A Philosophy of Radical Aliveness

LIVE LARGE & LONG!


"Yesterday is already a dream, and tomorrow is only a vision; but today well lived, makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope."

John Kerestes


Pages

Wednesday, August 8, 2018

JULY/AUGUST 2018: MT. EVANS

I have lived in Denver, Colorado for forty-one years, and only in the last few weeks have I ventured up to the peak of Mt. Evans. It is the highest paved road in the USA, over 14,000 feet on a road with a steep drop off on one side. At the top, above timberline it is just a pile of large rocks. But the views are spectacular, and every time I've seen wildlife: mountain goats, bighorn sheep, marmots, picas, and birds (in addition to crows, a brown-capped rosy finch).


In the last two weeks I've gone three times. The first time was with my friend and fellow wildlife photographer Lynn H.  The weather was rough: dense fog, heavy rain, and hail. The second time I went was with Judy, but we didn't stay more than a few hours. It was pretty crowded with both traffic, and people at the summit. So I went yesterday for the third time by myself, getting up early on a sunny day, and staying several hours. I still didn't get the shots I had hoped for, but will certainly try again.