A Philosophy of Radical Aliveness

A Philosophy of Radical Aliveness

LIVE LARGE & LONG!


"Yesterday is already a dream, and tomorrow is only a vision; but today well lived, makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope."

John Kerestes


Pages

Sunday, April 11, 2010

April 2010: Test Pre-Dive for Socorro Islands

This was a test dive today -- a refresher course after six-and-a-half years of not diving. I noticed more anxiety and a claustrophobic feel when I first went in the pool, despite only a ten foot depth. Adventures seem to always involve initial fear management. I recall as a kayaker that was predominantly what I was doing for the first two seasons.

Kim at Denver Divers took me through all the equipment, and safety procedures. I felt she brought me up to speed again, and by the end I was comfortable -- at least in the pool.

This photo is Kim showing off her bouyancy control, while I tried the new housing for the Canon G9. I put it on the automatic dive setting: which turned out to be a very slow .jpg that blurred with very much motion. I will have to play with that as well!

Risks are great, as long as they're calculated; and you are well prepared!