A Philosophy of Radical Aliveness

A Philosophy of Radical Aliveness

LIVE LARGE & LONG!


"Yesterday is already a dream, and tomorrow is only a vision; but today well lived, makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope."

John Kerestes


Pages

Monday, June 15, 2009

MACULAR DEGENERATION DIAGNOSED


In June, 2009 I was diagnosed as having macular degeneration. Its not interfering with my vision at this point, although my mother has been blinded by the same condition to the extent that she will never be able to read this blog. My opthamologist predicted I may be symptomatic within five years. I'm not reporting this to garner sympathy or to be dramatic. Rather it reinforces the "Carpe Diem" philosophy of this blog. My resolve is to travel internationally at least once a year, even if it postpones when I am financially able to retire. In China men are required to retire at 60, women at 50. But presumably due to lack of opportunity, these pensioners then fill their days with little more than mahjong. I'm not quite ready for a sedentary life. I'm still collecting the experiences to provide an abundance of great memories when I am physically compromised. Post Script: what could be worse for a photographer than blindness!