A Philosophy of Radical Aliveness

A Philosophy of Radical Aliveness

LIVE LARGE & LONG!


"Yesterday is already a dream, and tomorrow is only a vision; but today well lived, makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope."

John Kerestes


Pages

Sunday, October 14, 2007

1961 Bellevue, Washington

The summer of my 16th birthday I owned my own horse and rode competitively with a team called the Vaqueros in gymkhana events: barrel racing, pole bending, relay races, etc.. That year I held the state record for the figure eight stake race: 8 seconds. My horse & cowboy dreams had come true, to the extent possible for a suburban kid. My father had blessed me with a move to a housing development called the Diamond "S" Ranch where a dozen homes had a barn and an acre of pasture land. I still recall him asking if I would rather live there, or on Lake Washington where I could own a boat. There was no question in my mind what my preference was.